Friday, December 19, 2008

It wasn't so bad!

So, I had the first gammaglubulin infusion (IVIG) today, and apart from the fact that I had to get up at 5.15am to get to the hospital for 7am, it wasn't that bad really!

Of course I did have a few reactions which slowed things down. They up the flow-rate gradually and once they started doing this I started to have a bit of difficulty breathing. (Nothing dramatic - just couldn't breathe in as much as normal.) So, the dose went down again for a while. Then the nurse upped it again a couple of times, and I suddenly started shivering, and feeling really cold. So the nurse rang my doctor, and I got given an antihistamine and some cortizoid steroid or other. They had to wait for half an hour for them to kick in, and then my infusions were re-started, this time successfully! The flow rate get getting raised with no problems!

It was nice to see all the old familiar faces, and they were all pleased to see me too (even the cleaners and people who bring meals round remembered me!) And sitting in the day chemo room is a really interesting experience! People who haven't had cancer, or a close friend/relative with it would never imagine it like this. Everyone is really cheerful and happy, reading their books/newspapers/magazines, listening to their iPods, chatting with their friends who've come in with them. Not the sort of picture that would come to mind about having to have chemo! Because the type of chemo I had (HyperCVAD) was very intense, I actually had my treatment as an in-patient in the hospital - stayed in for around 14 days each time. So this is a new experience for me!

Anyway, I guess it won't be that bad, especially if I either don't have those reactions again, or else I'm given the drugs at the beginning. It took about 5 hours this time but without all the stops and starts it should get back down to no more than 4 hours I think. Apparently the effect is cumulative - it won't make that much difference after just one treatment, but will build up over the next few months. We shall see ... :)

0 comments:

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com

graphics : VLADSTUDIO : www.vladstudio.com