Thursday, March 13, 2008

2 steps forward 1 step back - sound familiar?!

I guess that's my life story at the moment. But hey - I should be grateful it's not 1 step forward 2 steps back!!

So, on Monday evening I got that 'scratchy sore throat' feeling and thought - uh oh! One of the guys I work with had been off for a week with a really nasty cold and it looked like it was coming my way! Which it was/did! I've been off work the last couple of days, which means eating into my holiday days, as I've got no sick days left at the moment! No yoga, no 'curves' ... hopefully I can make it to yoga on Saturday. We shall see.

I started with the 1 step back bit. But on Tuesday I went to see my doctor, and the results from my blood test the previous week were pretty good! My neutrophils are up to 1.1. Can't remember when they were that high before! Just so you know, 'normal' is 2.0 to 7.5. But mine have been hovering around the 0.4 - 0.6 range for months! And my platelet count was up too, to 57. (Normal count = 150-450 so a ways to go there!)

However, before anyone gets too excited, he said it was probably largely because of an injection I was given just before I left hospital last month to stimulate the production of white blood cells. The effects of this last for about a month. However, I'm going to have another blood test in a couple of weeks, and if it's gone right down again, have another of those injections. He thinks it 'may' help my bone marrow recovery. At the least it should help me avoid getting staph infections!

Anyway, though I've been fed up having to be off sick yet again, and feeling like death warmed up(!), I'm still pretty pleased about my blood results. And today I've been feeling a bit better so I may go back to work tomorrow. Just the one day and then the weekend.

1 comments:

alfia said...

I am glad about your two steps forward! Feel better soon. :)

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com

graphics : VLADSTUDIO : www.vladstudio.com