Sunday, September 9, 2007

you just can't be good all the time!

This past week is the one where I hang around waiting for my white blood cell count to recover and hope I don't get an infection again while my immune system is pretty much non-existent. So on Thursday I noticed that my forehead felt a bit hot - probably a temperature, sigh! Then I thought - well, I've got some paracetemol here and that brings down a temperature so maybe if I just take that this will fix it(?!?!?!!!) So I did - always intending to tell the nurse when she came round to do the 'obs' (observations - blood pressure, oxygen level in blood and temperature).

She came, and couldn't figure out what my temperature was doing. I told her I'd taken some paracetemol and there was much shaking of heads and stuff and she went off to get the sister (not called that any more but still the head honcho nurse!) She promptly put a thermometer in my mouth and then proceeded to give me another big lecture -saying she knew I wouldn't be able to talk back with the thermometer there!! What I was doing of course was just masking the temperature. And now they'd have to wait till the paracetemol wore off before they could get a real handle on my infection situation, and probably start me on the antiobiotics. So - I had to apologise, but told her I just couldn't be good all the time!! And when the doctor came round the next morning, he wasn't too bothered about it, and thought what I'd said was quite amusing!!

It was all very good natured but I do realise I was being a complete idiot. I guess I've learnt my lesson now. I've never taken paracetemol here without asking them before - I probably got influenced by one of the nurses telling me then that I was good to ask as most people didn't. But that would have been for a headache, not to try and bring down a fever!!

So anyway, it was back on the drip machine (which was what I was really trying to avoid) plus antibiotics, and that's where I am now. But this time I haven't been freaked out about it like last time - I guess I'm just getting more accepting of stuff! And I'm still hoping I'll get to go home on Tuesday as my white blood cells are on the way up ... we shall see! This time it'll just be till the following Monday, but the next time my friend Wendi is coming over from Portugal to visit me (as well as to go to an event with Maharaji, which I would also have gone to if my treatment dates hadn't slipped!). And I'll have 10 or so days with her which will be wonderful!!

1 comments:

Zlatyem said...

Hi Susie,
Emma here. Hope you're having a good day today! I spent last week in hospital too, and have started my icky drugs for Crohn's disease. Blurgh. Drips are nasty - I hope you're off it soon!
Just letting you know am thinking of you and sending good vibes your way!
E x

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com

graphics : VLADSTUDIO : www.vladstudio.com