Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Dignified ... ?!

I really like my doctor. He's human, but reserved. I think we're getting to know each other. I can make him laugh, and tell him interesting stories.

I wonder if this is a human thing - to try and 'seduce' people into liking you by leaking out bits of intriguing information?! Not saying this is a calculated thing, but I have observed myself interacting with him, from the beginning when he was distracted and flipping pages through my file (in the public hospital I started off in); to now when he comes into my room, and we talk about how it's all going. He saw some DVDs that a friend had brought in, a couple from the Woodford Folk Festival, and said he used to go to that years ago! I think of things I feel I need to tell him, or ask him. And the interaction has definitely changed. Not, I hasten to add, that I am expecting (or even wanting) us to be best friends or anything like that. But - I like him and I want him to like me ... (this could sound pathetic but it isn't, honest!!)

Anyway, we were talking about stuff, like not being frightened of cancer once you actually get it, and how different people take it etc. And he said that I had a very 'dignified' attitude to it all! Now, I could get upset at that. Who wants to be dignified? Sounds far too old to me!! But I understood what he meant!!

I'm now in the 'business' end of the current cycle. my white blood cells have dropped and I'm at risk of infection - no more going outside for walks in the winter sunshine! For the medical readers, my WCC have gone to 0.6, Neuts to 0.2 and lymphs are 0.4. Platelets are still decreased too. Tomorrow I get an injection that should stimulate the white blood cells to get going again. And then it's just a matter of waiting till the levels are high enough for it to be safe for me to go home.

I've also been madly trying to organise (from hospital) a new external hard drive with Firewire connection (I have an older Powerbook so the drive can only boot from Firewire). Having found it at one place, it turned out they didn't have it after all?! But I've found another source and my cousin Audrey is going to pick it up for me this afternoon I hope. (Need to reformat the hard drive on the powerbook and previously have just backed it all up at work and done it there!!)

Finally, the 12th Man. If you're a cricket person, and possibly Australian but I think the 12th Man CDs are known in the UK too - well then you may understand ... Otherwise, you've got no hope! Someone at work lent me the full collection of 12th Man CDs which I put onto the iPod. Basically what they are is a takeoff of the Australian Channel 9 Cricket commentary team. Plenty of material there. So there's all this utterly hilarious commentary from the 'voices' of Richie Benaud, Bill Lawrie, Tony Greig etc. with others such as Geoff Boycott making an appearance too.

A lot of it is incredibly politically incorrect - they make up all these outrageous names for cricketers from the sub-continent - eg DoubelDekka Baas, AhbrakemeAndad, Hesa Hasbeen, etc etc etc. I don't know if this just sounds stupid if you haven't grown up where cricket is played, but really with those stupid commentaries and ridiculous names and outrageous situations all coming through my iPod, I just sit here pissing myself laughing (a nice Aussie expression!) Probably people in the corridor, next room, think I'm mad coz they can't hear anything. And I'm weeping with laughter!!!

bye for now ... :)

3 comments:

crankyhausfrau said...

there is nothing wrong with dignified! it is much better than sissylala!
and i think it is a normal human inclination to want to forge a more intimate relationship with someone who is so closely bound to your well-being.
keep up the good work!
love and light!
Tova

karen said...

You sound like you're doing really well! And yes, I think it's quite normal to want to have a human relationship with your doctor. For one thing, it is more entertaining than just being medical and businesslike all the time. Kind of like: "Well, what we're dealing with here isn't the most fun thing, so we might as well get to know each other and have a few laughs."

susiegb said...

Yeah, I can tell you we certainly have had a few laughs - mostly at the expense of my bowels! I have had to lose a lot of embarrassment about bodily functions over the past few days! Not much point being prissy when the doctor and nurse are making stupid jokes and laughing their heads off about it!!!

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com

graphics : VLADSTUDIO : www.vladstudio.com