Monday, July 23, 2007

Not going home today after all ... :(

Sadly, although my white blood cell count is on the way up, my platelets are still down, and the doctor thinks I might be at risk of infection if he lets me go home today ... So I'm going to have a platelets transfusion today and hopefully tomorrow I can escape (80% chance he says!)

Not that I'd have tried to push it or anything - I'm always going to do whatever I have to do to make sure I get through this in the best health possible. And like I said, I do trust him - not in the older generational way of thinking that doctors are god and their words are gospel, but I'm damn sure he knows an awful lot more about this than I do and has only my best interests at heart!!!

Of course this news wasn't helped by the fact that this morning in the shower I discovered my hair was starting to fall out! I knew (theoretically!) that it would happen, and that I would find it difficult - and now it has started ... sigh!! I've already gotten a wig to wear - length sort of halfway between my current shoulder-length hair and a very short cut. Covers my ears, and it did look really nice when the wig lady tried it on me last week. But ... just another big step on this journey I guess! Need to get hold of some beanies etc. Angela is going to lend me a very nice one that Doris (her mother) knitted for her. When it gets warmer again I'll probably experiment with scarves too ... but absolutely no turbans!!!

Actually, in the paper yesterday there was a photo of the two-woman fashion designers/ owners of Australian fashion label Sass & Bide. They're in their 30s I guess - and one of them is 2 months out of chemo for breast cancer, and had really short hair - probably only 1-2cm (I never know about No. 3s, 2s etc!! What is what!) She looked gorgeous. She is about 20 years younger than me, but still. It reminded me when I was a hippy in India in the 70s I met this amazing French hippy girl called Gypsy (!) who had shaved her head and also had a nose ring! I got a nose-ring just like hers, and was tempted by her shaved head, but probably more theoretically than actually!

3 comments:

Yoga Chickie said...

I never wore a turban! I vowed NEVER to wear one!! Lots of wigs though...:)

(0v0) said...

Hang in there today, Susie.

Short hair can be really beautiful; it's true. You'll get a chance to try out a variety of styles (at least secretly, under the wig) as yours grows back in.

xoxoxo

V said...

Aw susie!!! But it's for the greater good. Keep the end in sight; we are here with you.

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com

graphics : VLADSTUDIO : www.vladstudio.com