Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I survived my first night in hospital!

OK, here I am in hospital sitting in a chair next to a sunny window with views over inner city rooftops! And the chemo is being dripped/pumped/whatever into me. Crossed fingers - no ill effects yet! I've been given anti-nausea drugs too so hopefully that will take care of any sickness ...

Yesterday I went to have the porta-cath put in. Although I was nervous about that, it was fine! In fact I spent a lot of time in the X-ray room (where it was done) laughing and joking with the nurses! And this was before they gave me the 'happy drug'!)After that my aunt and cousin picked me up and drove me, plus all my 'luggage', to the hospital where I am now for the next few days. I had the mabthera (monoclonal antibody therapy) dripped into me yesterday afternoon and evening. They up the rate every few minutes, and when they got to 140 (140 what I don't know!) I suddenly got really cold and shivery - my teeth were chattering uncontrollably! So they slowed it back down to 100 and that was fine. And that is the only 'untoward' effect I've experienced so far! Long may that last!!! (But I don't really have the illusion that the whole treatment will be a dream ... far from it! just enjoying it while I can!)

As you can tell I am able to connect to the internet - although it is only dial-up. But that's better than no connection, for sure! And having spoken to the doctor who put the porta-cath in, I believe I will be able to do yoga! I asked him if I could do inverted poses and he said I could do anything! It's actually sealed under my skin (when the cut heals). He said I could swim and everything. So I'm expecting to be able to bring my mat in next time!

Someone said in a comment on my other blog that I was/am an inspiration! Have to say I don't see it like that! Probably everyone who goes through something like this gets an inner strength they didn't know they had. Coz I don't feel like I'm being brave, or strong or anything special! It's just - this is what's happening in my life now and I'm just dealing with it as best I can ... :)

Anyway - that's enough for now ... as I'm stuck in hospital for 10-14 days I'm sure I'm going to be blogging a lot, to relieve the boredom!

6 comments:

karen said...

I'm happy you posted; I was thinking of you today. Sounds like it went pretty well.

Yogamum is right on about the breathing exercises. Do you have any pranayama tapes, by any chance? I use a CD by Michael Gannon and it's quite good. A beginner's kind of practice, but pretty satisfying. If you're interested, I can send one along to you.

roy said...

Hi Suzie,
Open any of those gifts yet?
Good-on-ya for setting up the blog!

May you have an abundance of whatever is it you may need.

susiegb said...

Karen - thanks for your thoughts! I don't think I have any pranayama CDs although I do have a relaxation one. But I do meditation, and that is a rock that I fall back on!

And Roy - I'll post about this I think (to show how untogether I was) but when I packed my bag I left them at home! My cousin is probably going to pick them up for me tomorrow!!

V said...

Hi Suzie!!!! I'm so glad you are doing this, too. Let us hang out with you here at your space; I'm hoping we will help alleviate the boredom.

Love
Vanessa

susiegb said...

Yes Vanessa, let's! And you can give me stories of life at Hamish's shala - I practiced there a few times at the end of 2005 when I was back in London on holiday and really loved it!

:)

Unknown said...

Hi, Susie,
I agree about the steroids. High as a kite, couldn't sleep, up doing e-mails at 4 in the morning -not my usual wakening hour!
Hope the routine is beginning to make sense, and don't worry about the blood levels of anything. I find I can't remember the normal levels, anyway OR they have changed the units since I was doing that sort of medicine. This is quite possible, although drachms, grains and minims were phased out before my time. They had lovely old symbols meaning who knew what, but they weren't really calculation-friendly.

Be of good heart: remember, this, too, will pass.

What's this word verifiction thing?

Love

Carla

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com

graphics : VLADSTUDIO : www.vladstudio.com