Friday, July 6, 2007

first post

Well, I haven't set this up completely to my liking yet, but may as well make a start!

I'm off to hospital on Monday to start my chemo treatment for non-Hodgkins lymphoma (mantle cell). I can take my laptop in with me, and hopefully that means I'll be able to get connected somehow. So I'll post some more info etc then, when I can slow down. Right now it all seems such a rush - doing all the last minute things etc. As I've got to stay in hospital for 2 weeks ...

Today's my last day at work for a few months. I may be able to come back part-time in November or December, or maybe not till January - time will tell I guess! Anyway, to my total amazement, they had a morning tea for me at work today, and I got given 60 small presents! I'm to open one every other day or so!! Someone else here who'd been through chemo a couple of years ago suggested this ... I was blown away! In fact, it's probably the first time I've cried in all of this!

This evening I'm off to QPAC (Queensland Performing Arts Centre) where the choir I'm in (QUMS) is singing Carmina Burana as part of a huge youth music festival. Should be great - we're not all that youthful :), but anyway, a great way to start this next 'step' in my life!

And tomorrow I'll be going to my last yoga class for a while. Though I'm hoping I'll be able to get to a class in the one week of the 3-week cycle that I'm at home. We shall see ... I've got my David Swenson dvd so I can practice at home in that week. I just have no idea what I'll be able to do with a porta-cath in. I'm not taking my yoga mat into the hospital for the first time - the doctor was quite surprised when I asked if I'd be able to do yoga during that period! But - I'm taking it all on a 'wait and see' basis. If it seems possible then I'll take the mat in the next time.

4 comments:

karen said...

Good luck on Monday, Susie! I'll be thinking of you.

Unknown said...

I think a porta-cath is called a hickman line in England Susie - sounds a little less umm intimate?
Good luck and I will be following this and thinking of you

Yogamum said...

Good luck! At the very least, you can do ujjayi breathing. Sometimes when I'm ill or tired I just visualize the practice in my head and breathe along.

Lots of good wishes headed your way.

Wendy Kay said...

Susie,
You will have started by now. I am thinking of you and hoping everthing is going OK so far.

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com

graphics : VLADSTUDIO : www.vladstudio.com