Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Really good news!

I think I said before I've had a couple of tests to see how the treatment is progressing - a bone marrow biopsy and a CAT scan. Well the results of the bone marrow biopsy showed that it was completely clear - hoorrayy! To be honest, that was one of the scariest things about getting this disease - being told that the lymphoma was in my bone marrow!! And the CAT scan showed just a few small glands left. The doctor is very pleased with my progress.

He's going to do a stem cell collection at the end of my next treatment. What this is is bone marrow stem cells, but fortunately they can be collected from blood, don't have to go into the bone marrow directly any more. I'll get given some drug every day for a few days after the actual chemo is finished, to stimulate bone marrow cell creation, and then they collect it (via my blood) over 2-3 days. Then the blood gets separated and (I think) put back into me?! And the stem cells are frozen and stored somewhere safely so that if the lymphoma comes back at some time in the future, I will be able to have them transfused back into me.

Just wanted to share that with everyone!! :)

5 comments:

V said...

That is such good news, Susie!!! I'm really glad for you.

Love
V.

crankyhausfrau said...

good news! you are a strong woman!

karen said...

Terrific news! Great to hear.

Yogamum said...

I'm soooo glad to hear that!

Soapwalla Chef said...

mazel tov, susie! so so so glad to hear the great news!!!

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com

graphics : VLADSTUDIO : www.vladstudio.com